Thursday, February 1, 2007

Under the Boardwalk

Two local business men announced plans yesterday for the 8 acres on the strip at Geneva-on-the-Lake that used to be home to Erie View Park. Being a parent Erie View Park was a huge thorn in my side. You try to go to GOTL for some Eddie's Grill, maybe a slice of Capo's, perhaps a game of putt-putt, in which you count every one of Mattie's strokes. Then your child notices the rides, and throws a fit about wanting to go on them. This would not be a big deal except that it was basically $2.00 a ticket for every ride. And every ride was nothing more than a different vehicle that went around in circles, at least those that Mattie could ride. Luckily she did get one last chance to ride these last summer while Karen and I were at a rehearsal dinner at The Old Firehouse Winery.

The plans for the area that is going to be called "The Landing" include expanding the winery, leaving the Oak Room/Swiss Chalet, and Woody's World Arcade. Added will be a boardwalk, an amphitheater, shopping plaza, seafood restaurant , and most importantly my favorite a Microbrewery. This brew pub will be housed in the old Dodgem' building and will be called Lost Parks Microbrewery. The name is taken from the title given to Parks such as Erie View, which is a "historic place of memories that is gone forever." Obviously all these attractions will not be added this summer.

The proprietors of The Landing took time to dis spell some of the rumors of what was going to go into the old park. My favorite was about a Gentlemen's Club, typical Ashtabula Rabble Rousers causing an uproar. This rumor gave the location as the Dodgem' building, but the best part a name had also been given, "BUMPERS." I would trade the Brew Pub for the name alone.

I look forward to going out there now. To me the Firehouse Winery was is great place, as far as location and atmosphere, the only downside unfortunately was the vino. Not a ringing endorsement for a winery. But if Karen can drink wine and I can go get a handcrafted ale... I wonder how much a cottage is for the summer...sorry drifted off.

101 days until Mother's Day and the first Eddie's Hot Dog and Mexican Stand off for a table.

3 comments:

Blogger said...

I read the article online today and immediately thought about the beer. I think that's scheduled for next year, right?
I have my four staples when at GOTL:
Eddie's Grill lemonade;
Capo's Pizza;
Madson's donut (cream stick); and
Putt-Putt.
Looking forward to a trip to GOTL. Maybe we can that instead that golf tournament I no longer play in?

Spungalo said...

Yeah maybe before or after, cuz u r playin!

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely miss the fun house. Seems like only yesterday I was raped there. Did I type that out loud??