Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Ace of Spades

Moving Clockwise from Stemmy in the white shirt, Terry, Steve-O, Bolls, Robbie, Jeff, Deiter, Steve

Hardly fresh news but my big brother Robbie T is back in Ohio, having moved into his new digs in Cuyahoga Falls. I met him at his currently under-furnished, (can't move a lot of couches cross country in a Wrangler), domicile. I was given the Grand Tour twice, the place has potential. For example there is potential to put a bar in as many as six different locations in the basement.

After having a few brews out of the cooler, the three of us, (Stemmy, aka the roommate showed up) , headed to Bolls' house to pick up his poker table. Then the 4 of us met Terry and Jeff at the Clubhouse for wings and an assortment of draught beers with Guinness poured gingerly into it. Apparently smoking is still being allowed in some Akron bars as well.

Around 11:00 we headed back to Rob's place for some Cadillac of Poker. I love that in a situation where most people would say "I can't wait to have a card game once I get moved in," Rob chose the more Spence like path of having one before he had more than a television in place. We played a 20.00 buy in tournament, I managed to win 5 hands over the course of 3 hours , come in third, and win my Andrew Jackson back. I quickly lost it in the cash game that followed. However, I did make a Fin back off of the kid who won the tourney. He bet me that Airplane was rated G, I knew it was a PG film. Side note: Airplane II: The Sequel was rated PG in spite of bare boobies.

What I learned over the weekend is that I have been incorrectly placing periods outside of quotation marks. Not when using a direct quote, but when I was putting quotes around a single slang word to make a point of in not being my word, I was placing the period outside the quotation mark. This was something I wasn't sure about, but through all of my Master's course work I never had it marked incorrectly, so I assumed it was right. Rob was nice enough to embarrass me by pointing it out. The sting of the shame will prevent me from making the mistake again.

5 comments:

Blogger said...

Sorry Spungalo. AP rules are different than commonly accepted grammar, so I would keep on keepin' on with your method.
I came across an exception. When finishing a sentence with darlin', it would be incorrect to put the period inside that single quotation mark.

In other editorial matters, that's Steve-O, not Hawleywood, in the picture. They're brothers, but 'Wood has a crew cut.

That whiskey was goooooooood (said like Cousin Eddie). Thanks for coming.

Spungalo said...

I thought that nickname was interchangeable between the 2 of them. I knew it was Steve-O, and his brother is Gay Chris, but together they for the Hawleywoods ain it?

Blogger said...

Gay Chris goes by Chris, Gay Chris, Wood and Hawleywood. Steve-O is just Steve-O, though I hear his co-workers refer to him as Flounder.

Anonymous said...

"Cards with the tards"-- snotty, dopey kid in Can't Buy Me Love

Spungalo said...

Thanks for the segue into my next post Dr. Dreamy