Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Can Buy me Love

I'm sure most of you were either there or have heard the story by now, but I have to discuss it anyway. Karen and I met a few days before Valentine's Day in 1998. She purchased me at a Fraternity fund raiser auction called Rent-A-Chi. Somehow it worked like this, she paid money to the chapter to fulfill her obligation, then I paid to take her to Applebee's, (bring on the Skalski comments). After the auction she came over with another girl, who shall remain nameless, and along with Terry the 4 of us proceeded to get pretty mangled in the game room. Legend has it she went home and told her roommates, "I just met the guy I'm going to marry."

The next day I waited for her to call about the date, as in the last first date I'll ever have, and she called while American Pie was on the radio. We took a ride with one of her roommates, Katie, down to her parent's then we dropped Katie back off and headed to the Bee's. Karen was wearing a multi-color striped sweater, Guess cargo jeans, and black , almost combat-like, boots. We went back to her place afterwards, and kissed for the first time in her room, while listening to Steve Miller Band. Then she had to go because her sorority, Alpha Phi, was doing their annual "Singled-out" Philanthropy. It was based on the MTV show.

On the 13th she came to the Lambda Chi house late after working at Tangier's. We stayed up most the night talking, and early in the morning, on Valentine's Day, before she had to leave for a 7 am shift, we well... wanna know the rest? hey buy the rights.

Since cash is a little tight this was the best present I could think of. God gave us another by closing not only my school but also Lakeland, meaning Karen didn't need to go to clinicals giving us the day together. I intended to scan an old photo of us from closer to this time period, but couldn't find the plug to my scanner. Mattie helped us out however by drawing the picture above.

LOVE YOU BABY!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No jokes Scott...that was beautiful, you are a lucky man...great career, great wife, great daughter...I hope you are proud of yourself, I know all of us who care about you are. However the thinly veiled reference to the OMC song was a little weak...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jerry. Good story. Well told. The OMC reference really stood out for me, though, too. I had the damn song in my head all night after reading the post. How bizzare.

Blogger said...

The only time I've ever been told "I hope you're proud of yourself" was after doing something really stupid. You, on the other hand, now have a positive association with the phrase.
Good story.

Spungalo said...

I'm mostly proud of myself for getting How Bizzare stuck in people heads.

I almost forgot, Karen put up a myspace @ myspace.com/kspence98

Anonymous said...

I can't get Tom Wopat out of my head.

Pugdog said...

This is like shooting fish in a barrel