Sunday, February 18, 2007

New Rules

I stumbled across some Major League Baseball rule changes that are going into effect this season. These are the first rule changes since 1996. Here is the link to the article. Some of these I had to read about 5 times to figure out exactly what they meant. Others I understood the first time I read, but that didn't mean they made any sense to me.

I don't want to write about all of them, you can read them for yourself, I just have a few comments on a couple.
Under another change, a player may no longer step into a dugout to catch a foul ball. He still will be allowed to reach into a dugout.

Okay, I guess this is a safety rule, but they are taking away some of baseball's best highlights. Yeah, baseball is far from the physical sport of football. But, how many football players a going to dive down a set of concrete steps into a bench, cinder block walls, bats, helmets and players, all without looking where they are going, just to catch a ball that isn't in play? What about the player whose momentum carries him into the dugout? Will there be instant replay?

A batter running to first base also will be allowed to exit the 3-foot lane in foul territory "for the sole purpose of touching first base," and a batter will lose the ability to run to first on a dropped third strike if he leaves the dirt circle around home plate unless he does so while trying to reach first base.

What the Hell does, "for the sole purpose of touching fist base," mean? Why else would you be running down the baseline? If you run out of the 3 ft area to avoid a tag, isn't your sole reason for doing this to reach first base?

And why can't you run to first after leaving the dirt circle? The only advantage, on a dropped third strike, the batter has is surprise, unless the ball ends up at the backstop. Furthermore, a Major League catcher knows to tag the runner or make the throw to 1st anyway, and if he doesn't, (making him the Manny Ramirez of catchers), he will learn quickly.

Another change allows pitchers to wear a multicolored glove if the umpire determines it isn't distracting. And a pitcher in the stretch position instead of a windup with no runners on base no longer will have to come to a complete stop.
The first part is blatantly about pitchers' endorsement deals. The second has more to do with this next part:

With no runners on, a pitcher will be required to pitch within 12 seconds, the timing starting when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the batter's box, alert to the pitcher.

Maybe 12 seconds is more than enough time, but I hate rules meant to speed-up the game. This is part of baseball, a way for the pitcher to get in the batter's head. Baseball is played everyday and most games are on locally. My point being that it's not like football, college or pro, where there is always another game to get on the air. Quit trying to change the rules to accommodate the people that think the game is too long, or boring! If they don't like it, who needs them? I know Major League Baseball does, but educate people about the game then, don't change the game for them.

I've got to get ready to take Mattie to her meet today in Poland, OH at Kathi's Dance and Gym Center. This may or may not be nothing more than a house. I Have tomorrow off so look for a full update, and please cross your fingers for her vault.

13 comments:

Blogger said...

I think the sole purpose of of touching first base means he has no intention of rounding the bag and going to second. In the past, making that wide turn was only OK if you had an idea to go to second, third, etc. Otherwise, you had to stay inside that three-foot box.

Thanks for the link. I'll be scratching my head over these for a week.

Big Terry Terr said...

I know it is over now but I hope all went well Mattie.

As for the baseball, I am not a fanatic so I don't think these changes will affect my view of the game, shortening the game by five minutes will not make me watch more often. The changes do seem a bit pointless. I will still watch the Tribe when ever I am not doing something else. Go C-Town. Creepin on a come up neva caught sleeping. Stoking jack moves, smokin cat food. Sorry 15 years later I am still trying to figure out what Bone says in those songs.

Anonymous said...

If MLB really wanted more fans they wouldn't be shutting out millions with the satellite deal just so they can pocket more cash. Speeding up a pitcher's delivery by a couple seconds isn't going to win back enough fans to make up for that.

Spungalo said...

Wouldn't hurt to have exciting playoff games end before 1:15am. I get up at 7 usually stay up until at least midnight, and I know few people who stay up that late during the week. How many can stay up until 1 for 3 weeks?

Anonymous said...

The commericals, the nonsense chatter and the late start time make playoff games go so late. Regular season games never go that late. They start at 7 (7:11 if you've whored yourself out a la the White Sox), they don't have Super Bowl-esque commercial breaks, they get down to business and everyone hits the showers by 1030.

Anonymous said...

I had heard about the "dish uproar" for MLB, and had to do some research to figure it out. I am an avid DirecTV subscriber and want to teach this little prick-fascist-zenophobe from Yahoo a lesson (Dan Wetzel)-- below are some of his comments and my rebuttals:

"While some fans will undoubtedly make the change, it probably never dawned on baseball owners who live in gated mansions that not everyone can get DirecTV. Many apartment complexes and condominium developments prohibit satellite installation."
>> Actually, it is illegal for these places to limit your ability to get satellite. Some will require you to place a pole in the ground versus attaching to the roof or siding, and others will not let you drill, but there are inexpensive ways to get around that.

"Other fans, especially the coveted younger demographic, may be in a transient stage and will not want to invest in a satellite system for a temporary place."
>>If you haven't seen the annoying "I Like the Way You Move" DirecTV commercials, maybe you need to put down the remote. DirecTV gives FREE install at any location when a subscriber moves.

"Some simply favor their current television providers – such as Comcast in Philadelphia – which offer compelling original local sports programming."
>>Actually, genius, Comcast is on the sports tier in DirecTV

"Others will balk at DirecTV, whose reception can be affected by weather and struggles to provide service for multiple television sets. "
>>I don't know about this. A bad, low cloudcover thunderstorm may knock out service for 30 seconds, and a strong storm can pixeliate the image for a good 5 minutes, but that aint' nothing compared to the possibility of a problem at a cable company, in the field at switch boxes, or right outside your house when mowing a lawn or digging.

Actually, if some yahoo wants to get every MLB game, grab XM while you can, or Sirius if this merged deal gets approved. Nationwide, car or home. Or just get DirecTV.

As we can see, satellite radio offers not only a ton more programming (at a fraction of a bottle of booze, or carton of cigs, or chicken wings, or whatever your vice is that takes money from your pockets and serves as an excuse that you don't want to further lavish your lifestyle with state of the art programming), but is certainly the wave of the future. DirecTV is certainly going to be way ahead of cable once people like Whatzel or whatnot stop spreading lies. Must be a treat to write sports for Yahoo-- those 12 year old kids must love reading his column.

Anyway, sorry about the rant-- if you want to delete this Spuncie I understand. Beat that with a stick!

Spungalo said...

Hey thanks for rushing to my aid when Terry and Rob were beating up on me for suggesting that satellite radio is worth the investment. I am stoked about getting the MLB games, but wonder what will happen to the price.

What's the deal with local stations on the DirectTV? I'm under the impression that's a no go.

Your guilt from your long ass comment will eventually evolve into a desire to start your own blog. Which we wish you'd just do already, not so that you'll stop commenting on ours, but because we know we'd enjoy reading it. And if it happened to link a few OSU Co-eds to our blogs, that'd be cool too. Remember when you refused to even read them? Now you are a loyal reader to our little blog ring.

Big Terry Terr said...

No one beat you up. You were throwing jabbs and we finally put the gloves in front of our faces.

Anonymous said...

He's right. GET XM. Get it fast before the rates change.
And, I don't have DirecTV, I have Dish Network and still get local channels. And I have never lost service in any weather ever. Plus the rates and offerings put the cable companies to shame, especially because Embarq bundles ours with DSL, unlimited long distance and local phone service.
I don't think MLB was necessarily wrong for taking the dish deal, they just will lose a lot of cable fans in the short term. It may come across as a non-fan-friendly move and drive away the fringe and casual demographic not willing to make the change to satellite just for the MLB package.

Spungalo said...

Fact of the matter is I wasn't trying to abuse you as much as I really like saying "Old Timey Radio."

I won't mention it again, except to remind you about when we listened to it while we were camping and Ray Kept explaining to everyone who got there after what it was and how it worked. Yet, I'm guessing he still doesn't have it, and he actually does a lot of driving.

Blogger said...

I just got Dish Network when I moved and don't have Fox Sports Ohio (or whatever it's called). I don't think I can get Cavaliers or Indians games. Tell me who to b*tch at!

Anonymous said...

Indians, Cavs are on Sports Time Ohio now. Dish Network has it. I think it is 436.

Spungalo said...

See what you've missed during your 1 year Dallas sabbatical.

Oh and all home games, plus WKYC games are in HD, so let's go look at TVs soon.