Sunday, January 14, 2007

You Learn V

It's not that I haven't learned much lately, I have, just didn't seem to be able to string 3 together at the same time, so I guess I can no longer promise this on Mondays since it's only happened twice. Anyhow here are 3 things I have learned in the last week.

1. I was right. I love Jim Tressel, I love him for being from Mentor, I love him for being the son of a Baldwin-Wallace coach, I love him for winning 6 National Championships at Youngstown State, I love his recruiting, I love that he "gets" the Michigan rivalry, I love that he respects tradition, I love that team rolled their eyes when he began making them stand in front of the band and sing Carmen Ohio at the end of every game, and I love even more how much singing the Alma Matter meant to those same players after beating Miami to win a National Championship. BUT, I was right last year sitting on Rob's futon watching OSU narrowly lose to future champs Texas, I said, "He is not that good of a coach." I watched every game by both teams and I will never believe that Florida was better than the Buckeyes, at least not by that much. What I do believe is what was way too obvious, Tressel had no idea how change his Offensive game plan, or stop Florida on D. I don't know if he was looking at plays or hiding behind them all game.

2. I was right. Urban Meyer's ultimate goal appears to be the NFL. While the Jerk, Kovacs, Mead and Orlando were in PHX they did get to hang out with Urban a little bit and he was asked about coaching the Browns or the Dolphins. Both questions were met with chuckling from the coach, certainly not the, "No I love Florida, I'm committed to winning here, blah, blah, blah..." that we expect from typical college and NFL coaches, (see Nick Saban), right before they jump ship.

3. Herald Pride is much quieter than it was once. We went to the SSJP v. Cornerstone Christian Friday night. The elementary kids cheered at halftime, unfortunately I only got video of Mattie, so no pictures to post. The game was close and very physical, The Heralds were down by more than 10 at one point but led late in the 2nd and almost for the rest of the game. Through all of this the SSJP student section made barely a peep, and never stood-up, until the very end of the game. I don't know when this happened but all I know in my time there, the bleachers were only for standing. This went for Boys B-ball, Girls B-ball, and Volleyball. We were loud and obnoxious, and sometimes spilled out onto the floor, it was not an easy place to come into and win. Steve Severino who was sitting in the student section told me, "These kids are awfully tame, it was never like that."The amount of students there would suggest a road game in Sebring in a snowstorm on a Tuesday night. Rather than a home Friday night match up against a beatable team on a relatively warm January night. It would suggest it, except I've been to a game at Sebring on a Tuesday in a snow storm. It was a double OT win for the Heralds and Sebring's first home loss in years and the Visitor's student section was packed. A bunch of us had caught a ride from Fr. Nuzzi, and he was given the finger by a Sebring mother in the parking lot. Classic! This generation of Heralds rose and got loud just in time for CCA to in bound the ball down 2 with 7.7 left, dribble it just across half court and launch a one handed, running 3 that went bank before going through at the buzzer for a 1 point Cornerstone Christian victory. Maybe, just maybe if the gym had been that loud the whole time it would have had a negative effect on the visiting team, but the students were okay with the St. John parents being louder than they were.

***Premiere Fitness update. I have now been going to the gym for two weeks, I am almost back to my full workout, and I have so far been able to lose -1 Lbs. Meaning my weight has increased 16oz. this is not the kind of thing that is going to get me to renew my membership on Feb. 1st.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Just think about the "negative weight loss" if you weren't going to the gym. I'm sure a lot could be explained by the added muscle, Popeye. Keep going! You looked great when you got off the plane in Dallas. Of course drinking all day, every day by the pool and eating every meal out left you looking a little worse (though much more tan) when you got back on the plane to home.

Spungalo said...

Well, unfortunately I don't have to look as good to visit you in the Falls. I do feel better physically and mentally, I just haven't really altered my diet.