Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Urban Cowboy


I have no idea where to begin this post, it's roughly 12 hours since the end of the game and I am completely dumbfounded and a little drunk still, not totally unlike how the Buckeyes looked on both sides of the ball last night. Unlike a lot of people I never thought OSU was going to run away with this game, I even thought Florida could win it, but I assumed this would take some sort of last second heroics. There is only one explanation for what happened last night Urban Meyer completely outcoached Jim Tressel in every part of the game. Tressel even under-coached if such a thing is possible. I know Florida is fast, so does everyone else, but so were the Hurricanes in '03. The difference was OSU used its power to take that speed away, why they didn't play their game and hammer the ball wth their RBs I will never understand. Then on 4th and inches you run a play that instead of hitting a hole fast and hard, gives the Florida D-line time to move the line back 2 yards before the RB gets to it???? I guess the Buckeye season realy did end after the Michigan game, that was the National Championship game, as Tony Kornheiser said on PTI before the game, "This game is like the beginning of the '07 season. " And yes after he said this, and Michael Wilbon agreed, they both said Florida would win because they were so fired about about how everyone had counted them out, which appears to be exactly what happened.

Thank you Ted Ginn Jr. for giving me something to cheer about for 14 seconds.

Now if I can get past how terrible OSU looked, I had no problem standing up and clapping when Coach Meyer was presented the Waterford Crystal football. This is my scond favorite team and at that point I wasn't going to rob myself of the opportunity to be proud of Urban. Just a reminder to everyone at St. John, especially the Mt. Carmel people, who are claiming him, he was a Mother of Sorrows boy first. MOS SHINES!!!

The next question is where does Urban go from here? I'd assume his ultimate goal is the NFL, besides why would he want to stay at Florida? He will never be a legend in Gainseville, not with Redneck err Gatornation. He could win 5 championships in a row, and compared to Spurrier and his one title, he'll still just be a "Good coach for a Yankee."

Anyway, Congrats Urban!!!

Cavs and Buckeye B-ball tonight, man the NCAA tournament and baseball season are a long way away.

8 comments:

Blogger said...

Pitchers and catchers will report before you know it.

Good for Urban. Bad for Tressel. I completely agree that Tressel was outcoached (for the first time).

Maybe the Browns will be looking for a new head coach after next season? That means they would have had another crappy season, so I hope not. Besides, Cowher would be their first choice.

Spungalo said...

yeah but where are the Browns on his list? If they need to replace Romeo it will be after next season, I'm not sure the Chin is going to return to coaching before his daughter gradgitates from NCState. Unless te Pathers are looking for a coach.

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show all these Browns fans that were clamoring for Tressel that he too can be out-coached. I get tired of hearing how Jim Tressel, or any coach for that matter, can turn the Clowns around. Nothing against Tress', but he flat out got bested. I've never pictured Tressel as a pro coach, as it's a tough job to motivate millionaires.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rob, I agree with Spence and I agree with jay, and you know how that all drives me crazy, apparently. Cowher is waiting for the Cowboys job, which is at least a year or two away, depending on if TO goes or stays, respectively. Reaction from COlumbus has been congratulatory for the team, and lukewarm reception for Tressel. But the big story now is who will turn pro? GOnzalez, Ginn and Pittman, with Barton staying. This town needs a basketball team to keep them busy until the Reds.

Blogger said...

I fear for the Buckeyes next year. With their recruiting classes, I'm sure they'll be fine, but you have to expect a couple losses (see Texas this year) and a big scare against that school up north.

Anonymous said...

Spuncie, you coming down for Akron game? Is that this year?

Spungalo said...

If you mean against the Bucks, I don't see thaton the schedule.

Next year is going to b tugh for the football team, a lot of tough to replace guys, esp. if ginn and gonzo both leave. I think recriting as been a little off because they have been so strong. I just hope they can finish top 10 next year.

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHH, the joy of it all! I have been too busy to be online, so a little late, but just HAD to post. Sorry boys (cough, cough). Shoulda listened to me and made your bets as I stated before the HUGE upset!!!!! So you think Urban will be seen in the NFL? Wonder how he likes Florida? I hear the Bucs will be looking for a new head coach real soon. How sweet would THAT be?!!!