Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Turn, Turn, Turn


Here is something that drives me nuts just about every day. My hope is by posting this I can alleviate this problem for people everywhere. But there is one place in particular that this offense should be a capital crime. I'm talking about when people at a red light have the choice between the straight only lane or the straight/right turn (ON RED) lane, and they choose to get into the curb lane, causing all traffic, which could flow quite easily, to come to a stand still. The location where this makes me the most insane is at 5 points in Ashtabula, As shown in this photo I pulled off of GoogleEarth. It wasn't very busy when the satellite took this image, but notice the cars waiting are in the lanes I am talking about. Those who aren't familiar with the area, this is a major intersection connecting Rt 20, Lake Ave, Main St, and Park Place. It is also the intersection that I have to go through to go to about 75% of my usual destination, turning right off of 2o heading Northwest on Lake Ave.

I have always tried to be conscientious of other drivers in this respect. If I am going straight, I will get out of the curb lane so a car behind me does not have to wait. Now I can understand if the middle lane is also a left turn lane, (which this isn't), or if there is a huge line of cars, one really slow car, or a big truck. However, more and more frequently I seem to be the second car at this stop light and the 1st car is in front of me and not turning. At one point, not too long ago this was changed to a right turn only lane, (this didn't always keep the same thing from happening), but then changed back for whatever reason. I assume the one lane couldn't hold the Rt 20 traffic at 5:00, note to Ashtabula City Transportation Department: They make lights that dictate what is allowed in an individual lane at different times of the day.

Anyway, if you are currently tired of this problem too, I sympathize. If you are part of the problem, get the Hell outta the way! If you also try to avoid holding up your right turn road mates, allow me to paraphrase the great band Geggy Tah, "All I wanna do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are. You let me turn right, when I was driving in my car."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of traffic, you remind of the Seinfeld on last night with Kramer providing shortcuts to the fire dept to get places quicker. May you should head down to City Hall and try to get this amended. Do it for Ashtabula

Spungalo said...

Actually my greater plan would involve timing the ligts on Rt 20 so that it didn't take 20 minutes to get from the Mall on the East Side to the Plaza on the West End. Lights are supppose help the flow of traffic, nt impede it.

And the powers that be can't figure out why the West End is a ghost town. If it wasn't for Blockbuster and Giant Eagle Fuel perks, I could go years without seeing a part of my town that is 4 miles away.

Blogger said...

There are four lanes to choose from between my place and Trav's. There's a left-turn-only lane, two straight lanes and a right turn/straight lane. I need to turn right and always have to wait for some idiot who couldn't get in the other two lanes to go straight. I agree with your frustration.

Spungalo said...

I knew you definitely would Robbie.

Blogger said...

Are you sure that's Five Points? It looks like Baghdad. I could swear the YMCA is a munnitions dump (or just a dump).

Spungalo said...

Heh, you ever been in the Y?

Apparently all building roofs, awnings, and roads are the same colr from outerspace. lso this image is old because te adn't even cleared the land yet for the Walgreens that's been open for a year.