Sunday, March 4, 2007

Esther Ankrom (1936-2007)

I was hoping my next post was going to be of pictures from last night. But instead I just received a call I have been dreading, Esther Ankrom passed away at 10:00 this morning, so I am writing this through tears. Esther was of course Bryan's Mom, but as anyone who ever spent time in the Liberty Street house knows she was a bit of a mom to all of us. And while Bryan gave her plenty of grief, as we all do with our parents, there was never any doubt how special their relationship was.

I know a lot of you know Bryan as a bit of a hell raiser, the Ank you may not know is the one who in high school wrote a note to his mom on a napkin apologizing to her, and thanking her for all she does for him. This is not some embarrassing secret, I know about it because she proudly hung it up on a cork board in the kitchen. I know how Bryan always went home early so that Esther wouldn't worry, and probably so that he wouldn't worry about her. I know how when Esther watched her youngest grandchild, Carl who is Sue's son, Bryan dropped whatever he was doing and went home to help her. But mostly I know Bryan's going to miss her, I know I do.

Goodbye Essie


****Update Calling Hours for Esther will be held at Guerriero's Funeral Home in North Kingsville on 193, from 6-8pm Tuesday the 6th. The Funeral mass will be held at St. Andrew's, also on 193, in Sheffield.

4 comments:

Blogger said...

I've only been around Bryan a few times, but anyone who cares about his friends as much as he does, must have been raised by a great woman.

Anonymous said...

Great woman. She will be sadly missed.

Anonymous said...

God bless you Esther...

Anonymous said...

Tell Bryan I am so sorry, his mom was a sweet lady.