Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bringin' on the Heartbreak

I can't take anymore! I am fed up! I am moving! These were the thoughts that continued to scroll through my head last night after watching Akron lose to Miami, on a last second, buzzer beating, sloppy ass, off the glass, above the freaking box three pointer. To make matters worse the officials then reviewed the play for ten minutes so everyone could see that the clock started between 1.5 to 2 full seconds late, after Akron missed a free throw, and the show was taken with no more than 1.4 seconds on the clock. So the shot shouldn't have counted, but you can't take that away, I mean who's to say the kid doesn't make the shot from half court if the clock is right and he can see it? So the solution...put a completely arbitrary0.6 on the clock, (how you go from time not running fast enough to adding time is beyond me), then give Akron the ball with the full court to go. Akron promptly responds by throwing the inbounds pass out of bounds halfway down the sideline.

I guess this is what you get when your up by 6 with 7 minutes left, against a defensive team, and you stop running your offense and settle for running time of the clock. Way to be-E aggressive Dambrot. Don't even get me started on how the Conference Tournaments, that while fun to watch, do nothing but screw mid-major teams.

I believe it is time to move somewhere new, adopt and cheer for all new sports teams. How many times can I keep reliving the same feeling? I don't know if this fits under the God Hates Cleveland Sports blog, but it appears he certainly likes to keep me from being happy. I even went to church!

Saving me from climbing to the top of the deli and attempting to fly was the CAVS game last night. I gt home in time to watch the 2nd half, which began with Cleveland jumping out to a descent lead, then ending the 3rd quarter on the wrong side of 18-3 run. The were down by 12 and then found the center of the hoop with 3 straight treys. The Cavaliers took their first lead of the 4th with 7 seconds left when LBJ and Anderson played 2 man at the top of the arc, and Bron Bron found Varejao with a bullet, 2-handed pass down low for a shot Andy muscled up, touched all the iron, and finally fell in. He did miss the and one though. The Bucks came down, and Eric Snow managed to get his hand in to knock the ball back past half court, taking precious time away from Milwaukee, and ruining the timing of any play that had been designed. The final shot was missed and the Cavaliers won their 4th straight.

Perhaps more importantly, LeBron had his 6th straight game of 32 points or more. I know nothing is more important than winning games, but when your superstar begins to finally play at or above superstar level, and it happens coming down the stretch it's a good sign. The entire team is finally playing like a team and as if these games mean something.

Speaking of Bron Bron, do his St. Vincent- St. Mary's running buddies and Akron Seniors, Dru Joyce & Romeo Travis, get obligatory free agent tryouts with the CAVS, to appease James? I say absolutely, while my sources, (Robbie T) tell me Joyce is too small, Travis could play in the Association. My thinking is what better way to keep LeBron when his contract is up than having his boyhood friend on the team? Could he do any less to help the team than Scott Pollard or David Wesley? He may even provide a chemistry on the court with King James that no one else has.

****Tonight the brackets are announced at 6:00, and The Big Friends gather at 7 to pick teams and begin making fun of each other. Look for an update tonight on my teams and how to enter the Ron Severtis online bracket pool.

7 comments:

Blogger said...

I'm holding out a 10-percent chance that Akron's 26 wins get them an at-large bid.
Even without your ties to The U, wouldn't you rather see a good Mid Major team make the tournament than some "power conference's" 7th- or 8th-best place team?

Spungalo said...

yes. I am a Duke fan, but they don't deserve their ranking, or an invite to the dance, (I bet Kent, Akron, and Toledo could all beat the Blue Devils this year). But they will, because you can't have an NCAA tournament without them. Now we might have NC State taking a spot they don't deserve either. While good mid-major teams, the George Masons, Kents, Gonzagas or the teams that make the tournament so great, have to fight for a couple at large bids, like a pack of wild dogs fighting for a steak. It's kind of humiliating.

Anonymous said...

It's not too late to jump on the Runnin' Rebs bandwagon. Just think about it. And a quick R.I.P. to comic Richard Jeni. Another funny soul lost too soon.

Big Terry Terr said...

It is definitely disheartening to see Akron miss out when they have received top 25 votes for the past month. With 65 spots, a team that is considered one of the top 35 should receive a bid.

Big Terry Terr said...

And yes I am now singing Def Leppard.

Spungalo said...

It's been a bit of a Def Leppard themed week.

Blogger said...

How do Akron AND Kent get snubbed by the NIT???