Friday, December 8, 2006

No Smoking?


Being the dummy that I am I went out last night, braving a possible arctic blizzard to watch the Browns game. It was also supposed to be a historic night in Ohio because the smoking ban which passed with 58% approval from the voters was to go into effect. And it did, for a whole 4 1/2 hours, when they pretty much hung the sign to the right on the wall. This particular establishment actually crawled up into their attic to retrieve a box of ashtrays. The group of guys I was with went to a few other bars after I took my leave and people were smoking there too.


Now whose responsible, the businesses for flagrantly disobeying the law? Or the Ohio Department of Health who said, in response to a possible lawsuit from a group called Buckeye Liquor Permit Holders Association, the state would not issue any warning letters or fines for complaints it receives before the law's rules and regulations are completed?


Shouldn't these have been ready for first day?

6 comments:

Blogger said...

They admitted they have no idea how they're going to enforce this law. Idiots.

Spungalo said...

Yeah. Basically have a law that is similar to the no putting and ice cream cone in your back pocket law. Maybe they can put sodomy and oral sex on an emergency May ballot.

Big Terry Terr said...

I went to Jillian's Thursday and it was best trip to downtown Akron I have ever experienced. I did not see a single person attempt to light up while I was there.
Now I have not stepped foot in a typical "Lambda Chi" bar since the ban. I do not see Louie's relatives holding this standard as high as Jillian's.

Lazy Anus said...

What I am dying to see is when one of these 78 year old cantakerous, smoker for life, bastards rolls into their local pub and lights up and a 26 year old bartender tells him he can't...God I hope I can be there for that.

Spungalo said...

The worst thing about it is the bars that are really trying to do the right thing are caught in a Catch 22. If they don't allow it they are losing business to those who are, and if they do then they are going to pis off the people who are there because it is smoke free.

Anonymous said...

We have no problems with this law here in Florida. We may not know how to vote, but by damn, we respect the law!!