Friday, December 8, 2006

Imagine

I wanted my first post to be about something that is important to me and that should be shared. Since today is the 26th anniversary of the shooting of John Lennon, I figured that it would be a good place to start. Every year when I am reminded of this event my first response is to listen to "Happy Christmas" since the day falls during the holidays.

In 1969 and 1970 John and Yoko took their message of peace around the world purchasing billboard space where they could post their simple message, "WAR IS OVER! if you want it Happy Christmas from John and Yoko" These messages were not meant to promote the song as it came out after. The idea behind the campaign was that if everyone in the world just stopped and thought about peace, that peace could be attained.

Last year I made a few of these signs and hung one on my classroom door. I also gave one to another teacher, who lived through this era and she kinda frowned when she saw it. When I asked her later why she had reacted this way she said, "At that time in her life she thought there were going to be real changes and the world would be a better place, but it has actually gotten worse."



A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight
Just wanted to say thank you to Jerry Lazanis for making me listen to John Lennon on a number of road trips, "hey play that crucify song."

7 comments:

Blogger said...

Great, I write about hangovers and my cat throwing up. You write about ending war. Way to make me look bad, Spungalo.

Spungalo said...

Well I wanted to start grand, its all fart jokes from here on out.

Big Terry Terr said...

hi spuncie welcome to your blog

Spungalo said...

Thanks T. And as Robbie's buddy Elton john once said, "Welcome to my Christmas Song"

Lazy Anus said...

Well written Spence, who knew you had talent? I wish I could take credit for making you listen to John Lennon on roadies, but I think that it just cancels out the time I got in the way of catching that foul ball at the old stadium.

Spungalo said...

You and your fat fingers! Remind me that sounds like a good story to be posted on your birthday.

Anonymous said...

You make your older sister proud! Who woulda thought that the kid that was hung up in the closet with a hanger by his brother and friends would have turned out so great!!