Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Turning Japanese

I was very close to continuing with posts that were actually relevant but I can't keep up the pace. I wanted to do a story today about how glad I was that all charges against the Duke Lacrosse players had been dropped, since I thought this was something that happened 6 months ago when there was no case.

Instead I decided it's time to shine the light on something that is actually important to our everyday lives: Daisuke Matsuzaka pitching against Ichiro Suzuki tonight in Fenway. From my understanding this event holds the weight of a Super Bowl back in the Land of the Rising Sun. I am interested to see this event, since I believe Ichiro is one of the best hitters ever in MLB. His ability to actually place the ball off the bat where he wants it is unrivaled. Dice-K I know little about other than the BoSox paid over a hundred million, (yeah keep whining about how the Yankees spend too much), to sign him.

My dilemma for the day is deciding who to root for. Due to the money spent part of my wants to see Matsuzaka fail, but in all actuality he seems like a kid that just loves playing the game and goofing around with his teammates, this I like. Ichiro usually seems too serious, like Tom Selleck's teammates in Mr. Baseball. I know it's a business and your job, but it's an awfully fun job. It's probably more likely that the Indians are in a Wild Card Race with Boston, but I can't let that affect how I feel about one at bat. So I guess I am pulling for Dice-K.

Now, I know that phony Red Sox fan Jerry, will be rooting for the pitcher, but how about the rest of you?

Perhaps more importantly does it bother you as a fan that the game is becoming more and more global? I love it, but I know not everyone feels this way.

****Editor's Note Not really sure where this fits in to all of this, but I sure hope that Eric Young is not meant to be the replacement for Harold Reynolds.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

E.Y. is horrible and Harold can never be replaced. He was too solid - in and out of the studio.

I fell for the first-at-bat hype last night and was pulling for Dice-K. Actually, I was pulling for something special to happen (strike out or home run). I suppose a hard shot back to the pitcher was the next best thing.

Now how do the parents of the Duke kids get all the money spent on legal fees back? From what I understand, they can't sue the state and the girl has no money. You can sue Duke for reinstatement, but they've already offered that. They're screwed.

Spungalo said...

No matter what happened this is how they will be known for the rest of their lives. Can you imagine a future employer googles their name before an interview? Next!

Same thing, I rushed home last night to watch the first pitch, Dice-K definitely won the battle but the Mariners, behind a great 1 hit performance from Hernandez, won the war.