Sunday, April 1, 2007

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag


Allow me to jump off one soap box and onto another. Last week the Board of Supervisor's in San Francisco voted 10-1 to ban plastic bags from large retail and grocery stores. The hope is that they can not only cut the number of plastic bags being used but get these consumer outlets to begin using biodegradable bags made from cornstarch rather than the current bags made from oil and natural gas. Problem is the corn starch bags cost more, at least at this point, so the fear is that all of these stores will just o back to using strictly paper bags. Sounds great right? They're made from a renewable resource and are biodegradable. But again there are problems, we are already cutting down trees at a alarming rate, they take up more space in a landfill, breakdown very slowly, and their production creates incredibly more pollution than their plastic brothers.

The true goal is to get the consumers to begin reusing bags, or buying specific reusable bags. Members of the media have called this attempt "eccentric" and blame it on the extreme liberalism of the West Coast, San Fran in particular. I believe it's a good start, but perhaps a little near sighted. The people in countries all over Europe already carry baskets and satchels from home when they go to the grocery, so it's not completely absurd. Some stores either charge for bags or offer a small discount for reusing their bags.

This whole story got my attention because it is something I have been conscientious of since viewing An Inconvenient Truth. I do not reuse plastic bags when I go to the store, I'm not embarrassed, I just can't remember to do things like that. I do however try to reuse the bags for garbage or lunches or anything else before discarding them. One action I have taken is refusing a bag when I don't need it. Gas stations, drugstores, and convenience stores are always putting your stuff in a bag. Tell them you don't need it, or take your items out of the bag and leave it for the next person. You don't need a bag for a can of chew and a pop, or a pack of gum and a bottle of water, or a coffee and newspaper, or a six pack and a bag of pretzels (except at Sheetz where they insist it's the law to bag your beer because it's suppose to prevent you from drinking it in the car, because if you're going to break the open container law that plastic bag is going to cause you to have second thoughts, besides they're like breaking into Ft. Knox). These plastic bags are an epidemic, if you don't believe me, just look around next time you are out and about, I found three at he edge of the woods on the corner of my street. Refusing the bags is easy to do, it gives you less trash to deal with in your car, and can give you the personal satisfaction of feeling like you've taken action.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's something you can work on to tame your obsession with the campus schools....ask your grocery stores to put a large "container" at the door for people to bring back their numerous used bags. It's easier for me to remember once every few months to bring dozens back than to remember every time I go. Also, don't you all recycle up there? We have bins for recyclables, they get picked up once a week on garbage day. Everything goes, plastic, paper, aluminum, etc. Not much has to go in the regular garbage by doing this. If the city doesn't offer recycle pick up, start nagging them. THIS should be mandatory.
I think you should consider going into politics. You care about so many important issues. Oh, wait. Forget it. You are too honest and good for that career. Or.....are you?!!!!

Anonymous said...

Off topic, I'm patiently waiting for the post on the Ohio/Florida game Monday night!!! As stated a few months back.......bring it on boys!!

Anonymous said...

Can we get back to comments about high schoolers in the car wash?

Blogger said...

That's not my bag, baby.

I'm with you on trying to use the bags a second time, Spungalo. I also want to watch An Inconvenient Truth. I know a few people who say it changed their way of looking at things.

Spungalo said...

Just a side note, I did pick up these bags and throw them away after taking the photo.