Monday, April 2, 2007

Indians Fever


The weekend went pretty well. Jay and I stopped at "The Room" for a few quiet beers Friday night. Saturday was spent over Whitmire's watching the Buckeye's in his basement bar, AKA Whit's End. I actually came home after while everyone else went out. As I told some of you, I was looking for a calmer weekend than the last few have been. While at Whit's Bobby Ferrando, who is also Whit's neighbor, told me to stop over the next day and pick up his copy of "The Pursuit of Happyness." When I showed up Whit and Bobby were both outside, Bobby told me to go get Karen and come back over, he was making Sausage and Peppers on the Grill. I ended up with another 10 or so unexpected beers in me and enjoyed the weather while playing Cornhole, (it's not what you think), until dark. Okay, we didn't really stop at sundown. This was my kind of weekend, hanging out, B.S.ing with friends, having a few brews, playing some sort of game on the lawn, and watching sports.

Speaking of sports, is there a better week in sports than this one, I thought this was what they meant on the sign in front of a local church that said something about Holy Week. Saturday was the Final Four, last night MLB opening night. Today Indians' opening day, followed by the NCAA Basketball National Championship, baseball all week, NBA games that almost mean something, and the Master's starts on Thursday.

On the issue of Opening Day. What's the deal with the NFL and other sports calling their first games, opening day. You may have more fans and viewers NFL, but you well never touch the prestige and importance of MLB. Especially for those of us living in the North, opening day means a lot more than just baseball, it's Spring, a renewal, a new hope, and signals the beginning of outside activities and cookouts. Sorry football, I love you, but your first game just means back to school, and that Winter is coming.

The Indians put a beating on the White Sox today, winning 12-5. Items of note are Grady's lead-off Home Run, Trot Nixon's 3 for 4 with a walk, and some scoring shenanigans from the White Sox. Hafner hit a ball in the hole with runners on, the play required the SS Uribe to dive to make the stop, he got up and made a quick throw past the First baseman. This was originally scored a hit and an error, because Pronk got to 2nd on the overthrow. Two innings later the hit was changed to an E costing Hafner a hit and an RBI, while saving the pitcher Contreras an earned run, which he gave up plenty of anyway (7). Anyway C.C. stayed unbeatable against the ChiSox, looks like Grady's Spring Training slump is over, and the Tribe is poised to go wire to wire.

Good luck to the Buckeyes tonight, I need to go get ready for my return to the Wild Wings, I was there for most of the Indians game, to watch the game. Don't for get to TiVo One Shining Moment. I wonder if OSU will be wearing their "whites" tonight. In the tournament the higher seed always wears its lighter color uniforms, tonight we have two 1 seeds facing off. OSU finished the season the higher seed, (#1 in the nation), but Florida is the favorite. If the Buckeyes even had to pack their red or gray jerseys I'll be angry.

It's just under 2 hours until tip, and Oden already has been called for 3 ticky tack fouls.

GO BUCKS!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are drinking heavily, the pain of the final score will be less if you are highly intoxicated! Go GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

uh, are those RED shirts I see on the court?

Anonymous said...

LMAO...I LOVE IT!! Nuff said!

Blogger said...

Florida was given the top No. 1 seed at the beginning of the tournament, even though Ohio State was ranked No. 1 nationally. UNC was No. 2, Buckeyes 3 and Kansas 4.

Tough game. It's hard to win when you go 4-of-23 from behind the arc. What was Noah doing behind the ark? Bangin' sheep?

Go Tribe! The Cavaliers are just here to bridge the gap between Browns and Indians games. Sure, it would be nice to get LeBron a ring, but I'd rather have a Super Bowl or World Series in my lifetime.