Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Pick of Destiny

I was going to write a post yesterday about the draft, but news of having to go to this 1st Communion practice took the fun out of it. After 4 months of thinking about this, I still have no clue what I want them to do. I've said A Pete all along, but an injury prone player on this team is a match made in Hell. I have also said that a QB is a huge mistake, they are not yet ready to plug in a good one and succeed. Although, I would say Quinn is more prepared to play in the NFL that Russell. I like the idea of a local boy being the QB, but they have this already, and I am not ready to give up on Chaz Fryzzle. And, they still don't have a veteran QB in place to help either one of them.

Joe Thomas, is probably the player they most need, but it always takes a couple years for an O-lineman to get up to speed with the NFL game. They just aren't ready for guys weighing 280 that move like receivers, even Orlando Pace took a few seasons.

Calvin Johnson, well blah blah blah...I am starting to sound like Bruce McClimmans and Joe Pete in the Star Beacon; write a half a page story without really saying anything, then finishing with the same battle cry the moron at the Clubhouse had last week who butted into our conversation, "Trade Down!" Should the Browns trade down YES! is it as easy as everyone thinks NO WAY!!! The third pick means millions of dollars more and waiting an extra year for a player to produce if he stinks because you can't afford to admit the mistake. Plus he is still on your salary cap. I now hope they trade down just so I can see the selection. At least the goof balls who were screaming, "Draft Troy Smith" have disappeared.

So I guess I need to be brave unlike local columnists and end this with who I would take. "Well, Sonja Henie is out, I'll take Danny Noonan." He's out of St. Copius of Northern... Seriously, I've been saying Adrian Peterson for months now, so I will stick with that. Jamal Lewis is only here for the season, and who knows what kind of production he will give anyway. The nice thing is the top 5 seem to be can't miss prospects, and either one could be an exciting contribution to the Brownies.

****Editor's Note If you missed this article in yesterday's Plain Dealer, you have to read it. The story is about how Dwight Clark told the Browns personnel department that they were going to take (5 time Pro Bowler), Richard Seymour. Well, Butch Davis and his underling Pete Garcia decided to blow that off and take "Big (waste of) Money" Gerard Warren, who has been to exactly zero Pro Bowls. Oh and he's in Denver now. Doesn't sound like this was a great start to the front office's realationship with their new dictator, err coach.

8 comments:

Blogger said...

Are you happy with Joe Thomas? I am, but still would have liked to see Quinn in browns and orange.

You have to love the experts. Nobody had Cleveland taking Thomas. O Line was their biggest NEED. How could everyone miss that?

Anonymous said...

Why would the Browns disclose who they were going to pick? Or why would any team? Also, both ESPN experts Kiper and McShay picked Thomas to the Brownies at #3

Blogger said...

I beg to differ, Ron. As of Friday night, Kiper still had Quinn at No. 3. As for McShay, he jumped around so much in the last week, but he was in agreement with Kiper last I saw. Yahoo also had Quinn at No. 3. NFL.com had Peterson there.
Most "experts" I saw had Thomas going to Arizona at No. 5. Some had Peterson there.

Spungalo said...

I also saw Quinn @ 3 going to the Browns last time I saw Kiper's predictions.

Anonymous said...

If you both would have checked espn.com's final mocks, both had Thomas. As for begging to differ Rob, I don't accept. I think you should have put more beg into it. LOL. Have you kicked Stemmy out yet?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I don't think Yahoo has any "experts"

Spungalo said...

Man the people reading this blog just get more and more powerful.

Anonymous said...

Anyone wanna go duck hunting?