Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Doggy Dogg World

So it looks like Michael Vick has taken the plea agreement that the Feds offered him. Vick will plead guilty to Federal charges of dog fighting and animal cruelty. His celeb status isn't going to help him too much here since they didn't need him to accept the plea, they had the testimonies of his cohorts, who had already given him up. He did save the tax payers plenty of money, and possibly allow the training camp spotlight to refocus on what's really important...Terrell Owens.

I am going to try to leave behind all the talk of it being a racial issue, which is ridiculous, and I am not going to go into the specifics of what dog fighting/training entails. Honestly, it just makes me sick, I heard people talking about it all weekend after the HBO Real Sports story, and I just don't want to think about it anymore.

My question is the one all the talking heads on ESPN have been asking, "Will Vick play in the NFL again?" I know that America loves giving second chances, and we love comeback stories. That said this is not a case that involves someone hitting bottom because of a drug addiction, or getting into a fight over love or anger. Vick seemed to be a perfectly normal human being. Yeah, he had made a few mistakes but nothing that terrible. Most people, myself included, couldn't believe that he was even related to his degenerate brother Marcus. The point is, this isn't as simple as do your time, go to rehab, talk to some kids and we'll welcome you back with open arms. He wasn't addicted to anything that impaired his judgment, (I know plenty of people with gambling problems, and none of them ever drowned or electrocuted a dog), and wasn't motivated by love, fear, or anger. What he did was cold, callous, and thought out. How do you change that inside you, how many local APL's do you have to visit and donate to before you can convince people that you've changed? I just don't think that this can be lumped in with the other offenses that athletes/celebrities commit. I mean not only did he kill these dogs, he wasn't even humane enough to do it with a bullet. What in prison is going to make him respect the lives of animals? I am not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance, but what in the Hell can he do to earn it?

Well here's to hoping that his cell mate is a serial killer whose only friend in the world was his boyhood dog.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

This couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy. I'm shocked it actually got to this point, though. I would have thought his BOYZ would have stood up for him at all costs (see Barry Bonds' trainer who is in jail because he won't talk).

Regarding your question ... Vick wasn't a very good QB to start with. He's not going to get better in prison. Unfortunately, there will likely be someone willing to look past all his bad and see the athletic talent. I hope that's not the case and I really hope that's not the case in Cleveland!