Sunday, September 9, 2007

Send in the Clowns


I think it's important to start off this post by mentioning that I have never once referred to the Cleveland football team as the Clowns before. I get irritated when people do it, not so much when it's people that don't like them but when it's the fair weather fans that jump ship. Problem now is I'm not sure there is a ship left to jump from. This team is terrible, and it's just not terrible like it was in '99, it's worse. This team HAS talent! Lot's of it actually, yet but when they put it all together on the field it looks just as bad as it has since Ty Detmer took his final snap. I know it's only one game, but really it's not, it's 8 years of business as usual. And business sucks!

To me this means the front office has done it's job, they have gone out and gotten big players at key positions. The players have the talent and desire to win. That leaves the coaching. I hated Bill Belicheck when he was here, or at least at the end of his time, but I never doubted his ability to correct a game plan at half time. Romeo Crennel seems to have learned nothing from his years of watching this in the locker room. He is the rotten apple from the Belichick coaching tree. It appears the only thing he ever learned from Bill was how to be a jerk to the media.

It is my belief that at this point the only reason he won't play Brady Quinn is because of the stupid game he has played with reporters all pre-season. If nothing else he had a chance to give the kid some real live NFL snaps today in a game where the pressure to win had long since vanished. I know the Steelers didn't let up but that's the way it should be. Instead he created a QB controversy over two guys that shouldn't be starting in 7 weeks anyway. I've stuck by Charlie Frye long enough, this was the last chance he deserves, and I still think he's better than Anderson. That means they must either play Quinn or go get Byron Leftwich. The way I see it is if Brady isn't already better than these two then he's already a bust.

The most irritating thing is we've waited 8 months for this game, been excited about it since at least the draft in April, and it was over within 60 seconds. This team doesn't even give you any hope or anything to cheer about. When Anderson actually was moving the team I told Ron that as a Browns fan you can't even get excited because the more you get caught up in it the longer the drop off is when they make the big mistake. Which they did, Anderson got the ball stripped and fumbled.

4 penalties on a punt, I've never seen 3 on one team on one play. The one series when Frye looked okay, they got a big first down, and Winslow gets called for a push-off except not only didn't he use his hands, he was within 5 yards.

I have a lot more to say, but the Tribe just won so I'm going to focus on that before I can't sleep. They look like they are going to be the only exciting game in town until at least June if the CAVS are still around. Those of you who choose to waste money and an ENTIRE day and a lot of money going to the Browns game, why don't you save that money and get tickets to an Indians home SERIES, or a play-off game?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Steeler fan, I feel for you diehard Browns fans- seriously. I listen, without commenting, on how this year is going to be different, and how the upset of the year is going to occur in week 1. The front office, coaching staff, beat writers, etc all give you an angle that makes you think this year is going to be different. You've endured 7, soon to be 8 rough years, why jump off now? There are some good building blocks in place, but seriously, they will not compete for the playoffs for another 2 years.

Blogger said...

I watched the game with Bolls and his brother Jeff - both Steelers fans. I'm almost happy it was so bad yesterday because they took it easy on me.

We all got a big kick out of the opening punt. Unfortunately, the punter did NOT get a big (or medium) kick out of it.

ESPN just did a "Five coaches on the hotseat" segment and Romeo was not on the list. I understand expectations are dowm, but losing is losing. It shouldn't be acceptable.