Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

I realize I can't keep going a week plus in between posts and apologizing,t hen promising not to do it again, so I won't. I just have been ridiculously busy, I think Sunday was the only day I didn't go out of town this week. So here is a picture I took with my new Blackberry Curve of Mattie at the Indians game. Part of the delay was getting them from my email to My Pictures.

We ended up getting bleacher seats, but not just any bleacher seats, these were section 185, Row Y, seats 28-30. For those of you scoring at home that, that's the bleacher section farthest towards centerfield, last row, and last seats. It was nice at first pitch, no no one in front of us, able to do some people watching down on the street, and as I've said before there is not a bad seat in the bleachers. Then it cooled off, and I was wearing shorts, and a polo, (with no undershirt), up that high with no 100 foot scoreboard to protect from the wind was quite cold. Mattie and Karen were smart enough to bring sweatshirts, I was too busy carrying cellphones.

Luckily the game went pretty fast, it was 1-1 until the bottom of the ninth. At the top of the 8th Jay texted me and told me I was in for extra innings. I told him I had to leave for work at 6:30 in the morning and I was leaving after nine either way, "It's not like they are going to make history against the Devil Rays." I was wrong, Ben Francisco hit his first career home run,to win the game.

We stayed afterwards for fireworks, or at least half of them. It took 45 minutes to start them then they went on forever. When we finally left, we were actually getting hit with cardboard shrapnel as we crossed E. 9th. All in all Mattingly had a good time, unfortunately great low scoring pitching duels are not super entertaining for 8 year olds, but she didn't complain at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my neice, going to a sporting event that isn't thoroughly entertaining and not complaining. She has the Spence sports blood in her!! I can't not comment on the "cold" statement you made. Are you friggin' serious?? It's July and you all have to wear sweatshirts at night? I'm cancelling my reservations. Let me know when you can wear shorts and tank tops from morning until bed time. Until then, it's all about the blog, email, and cell phones (Keep on carrying them around!).

Spungalo said...

It has been cool at night so far, which is odd, but at 100 feet up and no wind protection there's quite a temp difference from street level. And of course it wasn't that exciting seeing the tribe begin a sweep of a Triple A team like the D-Rays.