Friday, July 20, 2007

How Bizaar

Are you kidding me look at that background. It's like a Springsteen song.

The magnitude of some events in our lives cannot be written about immediately. We must take time to reflect upon their perplexities and review their outcomes. That said I believe I have now fully digested the events of last weekends Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, or the Bizaar, and I am prepared to put them into words.

First let me explain that the Feast has been one of the highlights of my summer for as long as I can remember. Perhaps next year I will do a Bizaar memories series leading up to Feast Weekend. However, until midday Saturday I wasn't sure if I would be going. Karen was taking her Registry Test for Radiologic Technologists, or in Hogwarts terms her O.W.L.s. Since obviously this was the end of a very stressful day, week, month, and 4 years she was going out with or without me and that was cool. But man did I want to get to that Feast. Mattingly ended up staying at a friends house and I was excited because I knew I hadn't bought my Feast outfit in vain.

I dropped Karen off at Laura's and went on to pick up Jay B. We headed up to the grounds and immediately found the beer garden, where we stayed for the better part of the night. The other frequented place being inside the Community Center where there's gambling and beer as well. Now there's gambling outside too, but those games are more geared towards getting Ashtabula youth addicted to gaming so they can later graduate to the inside games of chance. It also made me proud to think my nephew is just a few years away from trying to sneak a few beers, just kidding, now that there are designated areas for drinking it's not quite as easy to consume underage as it was in the past. Like back in the days when a certain Mt. Carmel celeb used to run a special buy 2 get the third beer free special for a few of my friends and me.
The girls waiting for the rain to let up.

It was a great time Saturday night, we ended it with being the last people on the grounds about an hour after everyone had left. It was pouring down rain and we were sitting under the canopy in the beer garden. During this waiting period there was a good chance you could see 2 cigarettes being shared amongst 8 different people. When it finally let up a little we headed to the Crows Nest.

This was where my night of drinking was supposed to end because I had to work Sunday. Nevertheless, beers are hard to pass up when they are being bought for you. Besides as I told Jay earlier, stopping drinking is not my strong suit. I can not drink, I can go home and keep drinking, I can drink a glass of ice water for every beer, BUT being out drinking and stopping while still staying out is not something that comes easily. Made even more difficult by the fact that I was having such a good time on a great night. It's okay though, I felt fine in the morning and made it to work without any trouble.

The time at the Nest also included my drunk ass bailing out a guy I've never met who was karaoke-ing Detroit Rock City, he was struggling and kept putting the mic in peoples faces, so I just kinda took over. Later Laura decided it would be a good idea for him and I to share the stage once again for Born to Run. Not to brag, but we brought down the house, or we would have if anyone was paying attention.

After work Sunday, we took Mattie back to eat, ride rides, and watch fireworks. During which time I found sufficient time to get my drink back on in the Beer Garden. Sunday was cool because all of the guys I used to go with were there with their families, such as Silva, Narducci, Paulchel and plenty of others.
Camera phone shot of partial crowd Sunday Night.
On a side note, I know the rain hurts the Feast's bottom line, but man does it was away the undesirables quickly. Jay and I were talking and remembering when summers consisted of a Feast for not only Mt. Carmel, but also St. Joe's and Mother of Sorrows. There was also Harbor Days on Bridge Street, and Dog Days on Main Ave. The Blessing of the Fleet was a bigger deal and of course there was the County Fair. These undesirables have lead to the extinction of all these other summer events. So any time they are prevented from soiling my Bizaar, I am happy.

****Up next-25 year reunion for St. John class of 1982. I will be in attendance as a makeshift DJ...with camera. Here's a picture of Mark O and The Jerk going through an old yearbook trying to figure out who still hates them.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Scott. A couple things:

Class of '82? How old are you, and do you have vinyl of Asia?

You bought a feast outfit? Instead of how bizaar, try how gay.

Also glad to see both original members of Glass of Honey adding solo, small club appearances to keep the fire burning, as REO Speedwagon might say. You can catch Ron Severtis at "Studio 161" at the corner of 161 and 71 in North Columbus on select Friday and Saturday nights. His karaoke set list rotates, but has recently favored: "Careless Whisper", "A Long December" and "Alone" by Heart.

Glad you guys had a great time, seriously. Way to go Karen on getting through crap. Karen looking as hot as ever in those pics. Oops, should I stop there?

Spungalo said...

I am only setting up speakers, creating a play list from my computer, and heading to the bar. And yes there will be some Asia. I admit that every year I make sure I have a new shirt and jeans/shorts for the Bizaar,I've got plenty of Metro in me and I don't care, gotta look good for the summer crowd.

I would definitely rock out to some Heart with my Glass of Honey brother-in-arms. But you have to be the fat one, Nancy I believe.

Big Terry Terr said...

Does Karen realize she is still hot enough to get a real man? One that doesn't buy feast outfits. Just kidding, kinda.

Anonymous said...

Also, I see what you are saying-- a ferris wheel and a spotlight background is like Courtney Cox-- just so Springsteen

Spungalo said...

Thanks Ron for comparing it to a video not a song like I said. Bruce makes a lot of references to summers at carnivals and boardwalks in his earlier songs that is what I meant.

Examples off the top of my head:

TUNNEL OF LOVE
Fat man sitting on a little stool
Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you
Hands me the ticket smiles and whispers good luck
Cuddle up angel cuddle up my little dove
We'll ride down baby into this tunnel of love

FOURTH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY)
Sandy, the aurora is risin' behind us
Those pier lights, our carnival life forever
Oh, love me tonight, for I may never see you again
Hey, Sandy girl... my baby

COUNTY FAIR
Every year when summer comes around
They stretch a banner 'cross the main street in town
You can feel somethin's happenin' in the air
Well, from Carol's house up on Telegraph Hill
You can see the lights going up out in Soldiers Field
Getting ready, for the county fair

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding something to your blog this weekend Spunce

Anonymous said...

Is Urban Meyer going to show up for the reunion?

Spungalo said...

No but he was responsible for paying me to DJ. I should turn him into the NCAA I may have eligibility left.

Anonymous said...

You have eligibility left but your skills are comparable to Mac singing "Summer of 69". I checked with my compliance officer and the donation was acceptable.

Spungalo said...

Thanks Coach

Anonymous said...

Karen has always looked breathtaking but I think the new hair style really works for her.

Anonymous said...

But she really looks like a Lily

Anonymous said...

Too bad I wanted to have a drink with him.