Friday, July 27, 2007

Reunited

Rodin's The Drinker

I figured I better get a post up about last weekend's St. John Class of 1982 reunion, where I was, well DJ isn't really an accurate term, I was the music player really. I spent all day last Wednesday downloading 300 songs from per the request of Mark O. and The Jerk. I was told don't worry about any current music, "It should all be from that era." I get there to set up and the first thing I get is disapproving looks and tones from someone about my music, I quickly put the blame on the small fraction of the Grimms that told me not to worry about it. I was pissed for a second then the guy goes, "Well we'll have to figure something out. Can you play CD's? We need more modern music, you know nothing too Hip-Hop but maybe like that new one by Santana, Smooth." At this point I went from angry to nearly laughing in his face, the guy mentions a song that is eight years old!!! He later brought in his Santana CD but never gave it to me to play. I guess he likes watching his wife dance to it or something.
Coach Penna seen here imitating his favorite 80's TV character,
'Elizabeth, Honey, I'm commin' to join ya"

I had a blast once things got going, I owe it to Duran-DuRandy Northrupt who told me what to play top get people on the dance floor, and played some games with the crowd. I had been holding back on dance music waiting for people to want to dance rather than letting the music make than want to dance. From then on out there was constant harassment from people about what to play. One highlights was supposed to be Jerk and Stim dueting Summer Nights. I had seen it before and made sure to bring it and two wireless mics. Unfortunately Stim left his personality in his other pants and didn't really get into it. I must now mention that once Rick got a hold of a microphone, I never saw it again.
Possible captions:
a) Jerk Went Down to Georgia.
b) "All bald guys to the dance floor, RAY!"
c) "Everyone I was rude to in high school to the dance floor!"

The open bar closed at 10:30 but the party went to 2 AM. As part of my "contract" I was to be bought beers for this time period. At one point I had 3 open beers in front of me and Mark yelling at me to "QUIT BEING A WUSS! THIS ISN'T THE 90'S ITS THE 80'S!" Only thing you can do at this point is drink up, and I did. Mark also performed a stirring version of Love Stinks by J. Geils Band, replacing Love with Mead, even though Craig couldn't make it. It went like this, "Mead Stinks! Yeah Yeah!"

Later in the night I got pulled out to dance to And We Danced when my worst fear was realized, Half Song Ricky got behind the wheel of the computer and started cutting off songs that were only partially over. Needless to say my dancing didn't last long. The nice thing is when Rick gets really drunk, he actually listens to me, "Alright get the Hell outta there!" He just said,"Okay,"and left.
And We Danced...until The Jerk ruined it
Alright I could go on for a while, but I need to get in the shower for this weekend's big event, the Pre-Armstrong Drunkfest. Followed of course by the Actual Armstrong Drunkfest. To the Class of '82 thanks for asking me I had a blast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great dancing pic Scott- looks like old times. Did you ever lift your arms up past your waist? lol!

Spungalo said...

That's where I live, right there

You do a lot of dancing with your hands over your head do ya fuitcake? Heeeey you should feel free to do that with your shirt off at the Interbelt.

That's what it's all about right there, see how it gets bigger? Now I'm gonna start the fire but the feet are goin' now I'm gonna make the pizza, hips are always movin' from there the Q-tip, Q-tip, throw it away.