Thursday, January 3, 2008

Iowa Cauceyes

I am behind with the Holiday Season posts but I promise I will get to them soon, problem is continuous posts about hanging out and drinking get boring That was not the sole purpose for starting this blog, though it definitely was part of it. Tonight there is something more important that another Christmas overindulged in booze, food, and debt. The Iowa Caucuses are tonight, kicking off the U.S. Presidential Primaries.

The Iowa Caucuses, "Gathering of Neighbors," are not just the first of the primaries, they are quite different from the others. They're even different amongst political parties. The Republican Party members vote by secret ballot, but they write their choice on the ballot. In Democratic Party the voter is his/her own vote. You go into your caucus hall and stand in your choices designated area. If your choice doesn't receive the mandatory 15% you can then choose one of the candidates who have.

Tonight could prove to be very exciting on both sides, but of course I'm more interested in the Democratic side. I have been following the polls and it's been mostly pointless if you are hoping to predetermine a winner, as they are each different. Not to mention the unpredictable fall out after caucusers regroup themselves.

What has been great to watch is the rapid decline of Hilary Clinton. She was well ahead at one point and the favorite to win the Democratic nomination. Now she is either trailing or in a statistical tie in most polls, either tied or behind Barack Obama, and with John Edward on her heels. Its very possible she could leave for New Hampshire with the bronze. With Barack trailing by only 4%, (with I believe a 5% margin for error), in New Hampshire the momentum gained here could help him win there 5 days from now. Of course, neither of these victories will guarantee anything, but it sure would be a great start.

Maybe more importantly the Iowa Caucus will help solidify the black vote for Senator Obama. I don't claim to know how all black folk think, or that they vote as a mob, but I do believe that until white America, (and let's face it Iowa is white America), declares Obama electable, many blacks will ride the fence and/or lean towards Mrs. Clinton.

I have been a supporter of Obama since he threw his hat in the ring, I am currently reading his book, "The Audacity of Hope," and I am convinced this country needs him as our leader. I truly believe he wants to be elected President because he wants to effect change. Whereas, many of the others want the power. As many of you probalby found out through an email last night I made my first ever presidential campaign donation last night. I took the $25.00 i would have probably lost on the West Virginia game and sent it to the Obama Campaign.

Well, I have five minutes before the caucusing begins so I have to go get ready, I am very excited that this is the beginning of something BIG.

No comments: