Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Buckeye of the Tigers

I had to admit to people yesterday that I was more excited about the New Hampshire Primaries today than I was the National Championship Game, and I think it is obvious now that I had good reason. More on that later.

A few thoughts about the game: First yes OSU lost but who wouldn't have taken a BCS Bowl appearance in September. I'm a realist they weren't one of the top two teams in the NCAA, they are't in the top 2 of Buckeyes teams over the last 3 years. Still they played for two straight BCS Championships, and 3 in 6 years. That's puts them in the top echelon of college football programs.

Second, it was great to see the Buckeyes score quick and early but I'm pretty sure that also led most of you to a feeling of impending doom too. I looked at someone at the bar and said, "I had this feeling last year too." Which turned my thoughts negative.

Finally, I am not happy that all signs, especially UM's hiring of Rich Rodriguez, point to OSU having to change their style of play and the athletes they recruit. Where are the NFL ready bruising linebackers going to go if not the Big 10 (11, Gotta include the 11 when the 11th school is Linebacker U).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way I see it, they were three or four plays away from making that game a hell of a lot closer and maybe even winning it.

Anonymous said...

And we were 3 or four missed tackles away from keeping Jamal Lewis under 100 yds rushing for the game.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Two different scenarios though, the Browns were physically overmatched in those games; statistically, the Buckeyes actually were very competitive; also, mental errors and gaps in physical execution are different. Having said all that, my comment looks pretty stupid in hindsight.

Blogger said...

Stupid? You want stupid? How about New Hampshire picking Clinton over Obama? No worries, Spungalo, the upcoming states will right that wrong.

Like the Cavaliers, the Buckeyes were ahead of schedule and paid the price on the biggest stage. It's better to have loved and lost ...

Spungalo said...

No Kov I think it's just as Cleveland/Ohio sports fans were used to there always being an IF that would have led to a victory. FOr example the Steelers went 10-6 and wont the division, the Browns went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. How many IFS in that season?

And Rob though I haven't blogged about it yet, I'm pretty sure the fake tears from the robot saved the day for the Clinton Machine Tuesday.

Ricardo A. Pugliese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ricardo A. Pugliese said...

MCcain!!!!!! I'm to afraid Obama may be the antichrist, check out his backround

Anonymous said...

Someone told me that the Buckeyes are ranked second in the preseason poll for next year already (behind Georgia).