Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Let a Man Come in and do the Popcorn

I recently got a text message from my brother Rick that told me about the passing of a true Ashtabula Icon/ Celebrity. Richard Mead died today after a battle with lung cancer. I do not know any details beyond that at this time. If you do not recognize him by name you know him, at least if your around my age or older, from when he had his popcorn wagon on Ashtabula's Main Avenue.

Mead's Antique Popcorn Wagon was located directly in front of Sears and across from Carlisle's. I can remember many a shopping trip with my Mom where we had to run across the street to pay the Sears charge. Well this was before Sears offered "softlines" in Ashtabula. I'm talking about grills, lawnmowers, washers, dryers not much to do for a young kid. But my Mom would appease me by buying me a bag of popcorn and a lemonade as we crossed from one side of the "outside mall" to the other. I remember one time in particular when he gave me a free popcorn ball because I had gotten stung by a bee. May have been to shut me up from crying, but hey free popcorn ball.

Mr. Mead stayed for a while after the cornerstones of Downtown Ashtabula had run to the mall, closed their doors, or in some cases both. Wow, I really wish I could get a hotdog from there right now.

Mr. Mead was hired for different events as well; carnivals, grand openings, opening day celebrations, and what appeared to just be random Fridays at the School Employees Credit Union. I can tell you there have been a few Fridays where I stood in line in the bank salivating because I knew that a bag of fresh popcorn was in my future.

As I stated earlier Mr. Mead and his popcorn stand were more than just local icons, they were celebrities as you can see in the photo. This is a screen shot of the opening scene from A Christmas Story. Mr. Mead was hired to help turn Terminal Tower and Public Square back a few decades for a film that can only be described as a piece of Classic American Cinema.

I also have had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Mead personally. His older son Craig is one of my brother's best friends and a good friend of mine by default. When Craig has been home visiting from Arizona his Mom, Dad, and brother Chris often make an appearance at a picnic or some other random gathering. My favorite thing about Mr. Mead was that he told me I was a genius for having my Festivus Parties. He even took to calling me Festivus when we would see each other.

To Mrs. Mead, Craig and Christopher, your Husband/Father will be missed not just by those close to him but by the community as well.

Star Beacon Obituary

5 comments:

Ricardo A. Pugliese said...

It's sad that this is the time of year when I remember Mr Mead most . Seeing him at the popcorn wagon at the old Xmas parade. It gave you the feeling of a more simpler time that I believe he still lived in to this day. Going to the house and Mr. Mead coming out of his laboratory (garage) and giving you his freshly made popcorn balls, that were always a Ashtabula Xmas tradition.

I spent many days at that popcorn wagon. I would catch the city bus at the corner and meet Craig, Stim, Orlando and Kovacs at the wagon. We would sit and eat hot dogs (1 each, no bun), drink lemonade(from a single shared torn paper cup) and eat as many hand fulls of popcorn we could sneak, all while scoping out girls coming out of Carlisle's. It was a blast, until we would see the blue station wagon coming down the street to check on the day's profits. Those were the days.

A little known fact - The 1st VCR in Ashtabula was owned by Mr Mead. Although he later took it apart and made some sort of engine out of it, that ran on popcorn oil.

I can say I never once saw Mr. Mead angry. Not once. With all the shit Craig and I pulled over the years he never was in a bad mood, which I think is how I will always remember him. Coming out of his lab smoking a pipe and making some funny as hell remark.

You have reached Meads Antique Popcorn Wagon. If this is the gas company I won't return your call....

Blogger said...

I made popcorn balls for Mr. Mead one Christmas. Great guy and will certainly be missed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks you guys for the nice comments. I thought my dad would still be with us today. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in late November and he's already gone.

WTF.

Chris Mead

Anonymous said...

No question about Mr. Mead, I always liked being around him and am definitely going to miss him. He's was always great for helping all of us out with some popcorn, hot dogs or a few bucks for helping Craig at the wagon. And let's not even get started on his sense of humor... I believe he was actually an Ashtabula icon and will be missed as a father, husband, friend and a friendly face who was always in a good mood standing in front of Carlisle's handing out the best popcorn I've ever had. Thanks Mr. Mead.

Anonymous said...

Great tribute, Spunce