Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mak the Knife

I apologize for my disappearance over the last couple of weeks. Things haven't been easy lately, and my mind has not allowed me to focus too well. That said, I'm back and have a few things to blog about.

First, Karen and I enjoyed an excellent dinner at Hil-Mak's Friday night. I had grilled tuna covered in a Hawaiian sauce. It was incredible! Karen ate pasta and scallops, which she said was excellent. I am no food critic, but I know when something hits my tongue that tastes better than most of what I eat. Hil-Mak's is an Ashtabula Harbor staple. How anyone could go to Red Lobster and drop $40.00 when they could do the same at Hil-Mak's is beyond me. I worked there for a stretch in High School and received one free meal every night I worked. If you're in town and and enjoy seafood and a classy family owned atmosphere make sure you go, and get a twice baked as your potato choice and not the fries like I did. We went to the Locker Room after had one drink, and left since it was empty. We came home and watched about 6 episodes of the West Wing.

Saturday Mattie and I went to see Bee Movie. It was good, but I have seen better kids movies. Afterwards we headed out to Luciana's house in Roaming Shores. I walked in and Ray, her husband, and her brother Carmen were well into a bottle of Jim Beam. At no point earlier that day could I have guessed I would be drinking Jim Beam and Diet Squirt, while at the same time doing double shots. I knew 2/3 into the first drink I was in trouble. But Ray is pretty influential, and once Karen said she would head out after work and we could stay, I could offer little resistance. We hit The Paradise and Phil's bar for a couple of rounds then back to the house. The night saw an evening long debate as to whether or not the time change gave Carmen an extra hour to drink because he wanted to be in the stream fishing before sunrise. We convinced him it did...we were wrong.

There will be a longer post to follow tomorrow about my Sunday night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to some guys at work, Hil-Mak's was listed in an edition of USA Today a couple of months ago as one of the best places to eat in Ohio - I didn't see it so I'm unsure of the context of the article but it was the talk of the plant that day.

Blogger said...

Ahhh ... The twin smells of fresh-baked donuts and fish filling the air. I miss Ashtabula.

Welcome back, Spungalo.